Friday, August 31, 2012

Let's Get Started!!


Creative juices are flowing.  Totally feeling really good about what lies ahead.  So many options and opportunities.  AND... that wouldn't be possible without my lovely wife.

Just a couple of days after I was let go.... we had ourselves a nice little "stay-cation".  While we were having lunch in Old Sacramento, overlooking the river... we held our glasses high and toasted.  She said, "Hey, now you don't have to worry about losing your job anymore."

Truer words have never been spoken.

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a radio guy worried about their job.  We chose an industry notorious for sudden changes and unsteady employment.  A change in format, a new Program Director or General Manager, heck, a simple change of mind, could all mean it's your last day on the air.  We knew that getting in.  But that was part of the excitement as well.  I have friends who have spent the last 20+ years crisscrossing the country making their living working at great radio stations.  I have some who have managed to stay put in one market or one radio station for a long period of time.  I prided myself on being the guy who could stay in one market.  There's a lot to be said about being able to raise a family in the city you grew up in, went to school in, love to live in... all while working in the up and down world of radio.

Very few of us get to do it forever though.  There's an age limit for most.  Hard to sell the new song from Taylor Swift while you're putting your teeth in.  Or the new track from 2 Chainz when you don't know if that's his name or what he's currently wearing around his neck.

Back to the wife.... 

"You're done working for the man", she says.  "It's time to use your God-given abilities to do something else."

The voice... I have a good one.  Smooth, personable, friendly.  

Some ideas rolling around in my head... 
  • I could read your birthday cards aloud as you open your  gifts!  
  • I could read aloud your favorite novel... LIVE!  (no 50 Shades)
  • Custom outgoing voice mails..
Just a few... it's early :)

I'd love to hear your suggestions... 

No comments:

Post a Comment