Thursday, August 23, 2012

"I am not what I do"

that's the mantra i keep telling myself.... "i am not what i do".... really easy to say... hard to buy into.  i'll give you a little peek inside the minds of radio people... we're all very insecure..... at least everyone i've met is.  we get hired, fired, critiqued, praised, scolded... simply on who we are.  Being encouraged to be "authentic", "genuine", and "real" on the air...means you become really vulnerable.

you see... if i had some factory job, where i punched the same widget over and over again for 8 hours a day... and i got let go because i wasn't hitting my quota... i could live with that.  "Didn't hit my quota!!  Got let go!"....  In no way does not being able to stamp a bunch of widgets have anything to do with me as a husband, father, friend, person, etc.   Being dumped because of WHO YOU ARE... does.  It effs you for awhile... at least it does me.

I put together a resume the other day... first time in a long time.  Radio is funny.. very unique... trying to see what "skills" translate to jobs in the real world.  Not many.  How valuable is the ability to talk up the 12 second intro of a song without stepping on the vocals??  Will that help me in selling you insurance?  How about the amazing ability to give away concert tickets to the 7th caller??  Not the 6th or the 8th!!!  The 7th!! (sniff sniff) Do I smell accounting in my future??

If all else fails... you'll never hear "Would you like fries with that?" in a sexier voice.

So... realized something.... former boss was at my wedding reception a few weeks ago.  Wife and I were limited on who we could invite... I always thought in was in good taste to invite your boss, so I did.  This was a just a couple of weeks before I was let go.  I have to assume that he already knew what he was doing to me at that point.  He gave us a gift card to a major home improvement store in the amount of $50.  Looking at the gift card now....and thinking about how I feel I was led on about my employment... It'll just be wrong and against my character to spend that $50 on nails, and cleaners, and potting soil.  It'll feel "wrong".
And knowing what a proud conservative Republican he is... I made a $50 donation to the 2012 Barack Obama campaign..... in his name. (totally my wife's idea)  I didn't even know you could do that... but you can!!  If someone "inspires" you to donate.. .you can do it their name!!  For as little as $10!!!   And they'll even send that person an email letting them know!!!  I love it when we can can work together for good.

If you'd like to do the same click here...Barack Obama... and then the donate button.

If you can't think of the name of someone who "inspires" you to give.... I might know of a few people. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment